Thursday, October 14, 2010

Trip Break. Holy Sheet!

You were probably expecting to arrive in Visby, Sweden today.  BUT...change of blog itinerary today - I'll get back to the trip next week.

I have much more pressing issues to discuss. 

Let's go back in time a few years.  Or, decades really.  Back to when I was butta-yute.  And I had finally graduated from college and was taking a giant step to being on my own.  There I was, at the Valley Forge Shopping Center (back when it barely a strip mall) buying my very first mattress. 

I remember it like it was yesterday - walking into a dreamland full of beds of every size, color, firmness and price.  A store in which I was encouraged to take a load off and rest.  


Buying your first bed is a big deal.  It's one of the first 'big' expenses as a young adult - and also one of the many things you have zero idea on how to buy.

I think my shopping experience went something like this:
Lay down, roll over, stand up...okay...

Lay down, roll over, stand up...no difference...

Lay down, roll over, stand up...HOLY CRAP, how much is it??

Lay down, roll over, stand up...find the clearance beds.

I eventually ended up with the bed that I'll be retiring as of October 30th.  Yes, that's right, I said it.  I've had the same mattress for twenty years.  Back in the day - you bought a mattress knowing that it would last that long.  Walk into any furniture store today and the new rule follows a ten year max on mattress life.  How sad.

Anyway - last week, I bought a new bed set...arriving to my second floor in just 16 days.  (Before you ask, the delivery is taking FOREVER because evidently every one in the WORLD beat me to the Columbus Day Sales and will, therefore, be sleeping soundly long before me).

Breaking News:  I'm giving up my Full Size Bed.  I've promoted myself to a Queen Size.  I had to be talked into it - a lot.  I mean, it's just me and my dog.  And cat, sometimes.  And I already have all the bedding for a Full. 

But the prices and the newness and the grown-up feeling of moving out of a cot...yeah, I finally crumbled for the bigger size.

Which sent my brain up to a new level of obsession. 

It's been a week since I laid out my Macy's card for the bed.

I now spend 23 hours per day obsessing about the necessary accessories.  What kind of sheets?  What color comforter?  What kind of bed skirt?  Can I find something that will match my curtains (tan), bed frame (iron painted green), and the quilt my mom made me (multi-color)? 

I've been to Bed, Bath & Beyond, Sears, Macy's, Target, Walmart, Ollie's and Homegoods.

I dream of bed-in-a-bags, pillow shams and thread counts.

And then when you start talking out loud about such things...well, the advice is endless.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know that I've ever flopped down on a bed and thought, "Holy BeJeezuz - is that 600 Thread Count I'm feeling?" 

Yes, I know - if you are a convert to high thread counts, you would dare not sleep on anything less.  Certainly not the 225's that come in your standard bed sets. 

I'm just not sure I'm ready to take that step.  I mean, I just got the bigger bed (I think this is like The Secret, right?  I got a bigger bed, so a husband will magically show up?). 

I've already decided to take the weekend off from thinking about matching this with that, comfort level, durability, etc..  I might, MIGHT start the discovery process of what's under my current bed. 

I'm relatively sure I haven't looked under there since I moved in - and when I took a sneak peak last night, I found one pink flip flop, a dog toy and an empty Diet Coke bottle (I have no idea where the other pink flip flop is, the dog was thrilled and who knows about the bottle).

My other decision?  Screw Thread Count.  If I find something I love in a 350 - I'm going for it.  After spending a week straight trying to find the right color tan in the right size and prize range...yeah, I'm out. 

And you know what?  I'm guessing if I like the color, style and continuity of color - I'll sleep just fine.

40,000 thread count or not.

No comments: